Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sunshine


Rated: R
Director: Danny Boyle
Cast: Cillian Murphy, Chris Evans, Rose Byrne, Michelle Yeoh

What I loved: It is a thrilling movie, entropic (can I use that word, I looked it up, it's okay), good characterization.  All of these aspects are used to implicitly discuss life, philosophy, etc.  And, when I say that, they do not address these things directly.  Towards the beginning they have a decision to make about the course of the ship (Did I mention it is a Sci-Fi, Save-the-World movie?  Well, it is).  The decision is left to Cillian Murphy because of his role on the ship, and the rest of the movie moves around the decision.  BUT, in a realistic way.  Chris Evans - who is in the Fantastic Four and is very compelling in Sunshine - disagrees in all sorts of ways and often throughout the movie, but his character is more rich than dissonant.  

What I did not Love: I wished for more depth and movement of the plot.  Even as I write that it is because I want to adopt this way of writing about movies (these three categories).  I did not love the consistent fall into chaos of the movie.  But, I respected it and maybe liked the movie more for that reason (like why many are so much more impressed with Empire than any of the other Star Wars movies).

Movement: Sunshine moves at 75 MPH, but in a very nice RV where you have time look around at the people, the setting, the music (not the Soundtrack, the music).  Note: it is very dangerous to move in an RV at 75 MPH, but you don't notice.  Sunshine is very startling at times, will make you think, and it very well written.  

4.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment