Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Dark Knight



The Dark Knight: PG-13
Director: Christopher Nolan
Cast: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Aaron Eckhart, Gary Oldman

This movie was very fun to watch, but at the end I was exhausted.  When the primary character is an anarchist the movie has to move in ways that made me simply slide further and further into my seat (both times).  The second time I watched it with my mom, and as we were talking I was sure she "got it" more than I did.  If you want a real superhero (meaning: an actual comic book that people know of - as opposed to Hancock) who has to begin to pay the dues of donning his cape and having just one rule - the you will love this movie.  If you enjoy medium-speed plot twists that you can follow - then you will love this movie.  If you loved the 80's and you're thinking 91 minutes and a clean ending...  You might be disappointed.

The Dark Knight definitely remains in the fold of (and probably surpasses) Batman Begins.  Christian Bale remains the playboy who masks his vigilante alter-ego that Michael Caine (who has remained at 68 years old for the past 30 years to my knowledge) suggested in the midst of Batman begins.  Maggie Gyllenhaal takes over the role of  Rachel Dawes (previously held by Katie Holmes...  this seems to be a new Comic Book thing...  "you're replaceable"), and gives her a bit more substance and earthiness.  Aaron Eckhart takes over (can we include him next to Billy Dee Lando Williams???) as District Attorney Harvey Dent, and here I am biased - I really like Aaron Eckhart.  The acting was superb.  And, I'm not saying that with the added salt that, "hey, its a comic book movie" - the acting was superb.  

The Dark Knight has a lot of anthropology in it.  I suppose there is some hollow philosophy.  Many people are pounded into oblivion if you like beat-downs.  The movie is long - check the number of minutes and the time you start it (especially if you rent it).  But it is fun and enjoyable.  

4/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment