Sunday, February 1, 2009

Gran Torino







Gran Torino: R
Director: Clint Eastwood
Cast: Clint Eastwood, Bee Vang, Ahney Her

I remember reading that Miles Davis was able to change the face of music with his use of space. I am not sure Eastwood is going to change the face of films, but he definitely uses space and time and silence to full advantage in his movie. Gran Torino begins a bit like "About Schmidt", except Indugu is Eastwood's next door neighbor and he continually gets in trouble for his lack of masculinity and the brutal reality of sectarianism and gangs. The most compelling aspect of the movie is Eastwood's affection for the family while not losing the grunts that accompany every scene he is in.

Although I enjoyed Million Dollar Baby for many of the same reasons - this film moves differently. The priest is more interested, more respectful (which as a future man of the cloth - I appreciate), and he doesn't really mind - yea he learns from Eastwood's dressing down of him about life and death. I wanted more redemption in small ways, more legacy, but even as I write that I think I am actually more satisfied that the movie is sad but that it moves at a good speed, with character change - and not drastic change that tere can be no accounting for in reality.

4/5 stars for sure. And the gaps might actually make the movie better. Don't worry about laughing at the racism and series of grunts (especially at the beginning of the movie), if you're still laughing at the end... that might be a different story!

No comments:

Post a Comment